Two main options are available for students when looking for accommodations near the University. You can either submit a request for a student appartment (CROUS) or look for private housing.

Please note that CROUS process will require a careful preparation several months in advance of your application. On the other hand, no support can be provided at the university if you are opting for private housing.




A guarantor is required in order to rent  accommodation in France. For students who cannot provide one, you can ask for a Visale certification which has the same value:


The Family Allowance Fund (CAF) allocates housing allowance depending on social criteria (resources, family situation, type of housing, etc).

There are two main categories:

  • Social allowance (ALS): concerns all students (regardless of age, family & professional situation), whethere they are tenants, sub-tenants or co-tenants. The rented accomodation needs to have a minimum of 9 m² for one person and 16 m² for a couple. Name(s) of the occupant(s) is requested on the contract.
  • APL: you must be the main tenant of the rented accommodation and provide the renting contract.

Regardless of your situation, you can apply for one of those two allowances. More information at



CAF de l'Essonne

Impasse Trinquet

Quartier du Bras de Fer

91013 Evry Cedex

Phone: 08-20-25-91-10